For this part of the assignment, I started coming up with some ideas and references for a racing-car team that could be in a video-game, starting with a mood-board with different real-life racing team clothing on it to use as a reference.
I used a variety of racing gear in this mood-board, like the Monster energy helmet and red gear, to get an idea of what different styles of racing clothing there are to use as inspiration for my ideas.
I also created a mood-board based around different car dashboards and car company logos to get an idea of the type of logos and styles my video game cars could have and use it as part of my inspiration for my concept drawings:
For the dashboards I used both futuristic concept and modern dashboards to draw inspiration from.
Here I have displayed different famous car logos to see what type of logos cars commonly have so I can create my own for my futuristic setting.
Using this, I have started to come up with concept drawings about the gear the different racing teams could wear and the types of logos that they could have on their cars.
Team name ideas
Since the race was based in and around London, I chose to inspire my team names on famous places and landmarks in that city, taking ideas from Buckingham palace, Big ben, fleet street and others
1. For my first team name I came up with the idea to base it around the Westminster buildings and big ben, calling it the Westminster Royals. Then I decided to do a complete royal theme and based it on Buckingham palace with the new name…
Buckingham Lions: royalty-themed team based around Buckingham palace
- Stylised palace gates with the team name superimposed over them, featuring shields and gate features
- Royal Shield with coat-of-arms with a crown edited on top
- Yellow Coat-of-arms lion with team name superimposed over it.
2. For my next team name, I decided to continue with the famous London places theme and came up with the idea to base the team on the River Thames, as it would still fit with the futuristic genre of the game, but still be connected to London.
Name: River Thames Rushers- Thames Tiger sharks
- based on the waves of the river, with 3D name underneath, making it look more like a car company’s logo, while still retaining a futuristic tone
- waves flowing underneath tower-bridge. Not as abstract, but it still can look futuristic
- whole river, detailed, with 3d logo on top. It will look less simplistic but will still retain an abstract and futuristic look.
3. My third and last team name was based on the famous Hyde park of London and I decided to base the logo on a more typical choice a car company would make for it’s logo by basing it on aspects of the animal itself, in this case, a hawk
Name: Hyde-park Hawks
- The first logo idea I came up with was to display the team’s name on the hawk’s wingspan with it’s beak covering the middle of the name. This logo I felt was a good idea, but it didn’t look as abstract as I wanted it to.
- My second idea was to have the team’s name artistically placed below a hawk’s head drawing, this was closer to what I wanted but the head wasn’t as abstract as I wanted it to be.
- For my third idea I decided to use a hawk’s foot drawing and place it over the team’s name, this ended up being a step back from the stylish look I wanted the logo to have, due to the image not fitting with the name well enough.
- The fourth logo idea was definitely closer to being the stylish logo I wanted. I imposed an artistically drawn image of a Hawk flying over the team’s name, this looked abstract enough and the name fit well with the image, so this is the logo I am going to use.