To take my project and sketches further, I decided to re-create one of my art pieces in a 3D space using a combination of Autodesk Maya and Photoshop.
- In Photoshop, I began to create different city block layouts, to establish where the buildings will be placed.
- Set up a new page with a 300 PXL size
- Select a square brush
- Using the marquee tool, select the whole page and fill it with a beige or tan colour
- Select the pen tool and mark a vertical and horizontal line across the page meeting in the middle
- Using the pen tool again, draw out where the foundations of the buildings will be within the blocks
- Create at least three separate layouts like this, with different foundation placements
However, after I created these layouts, I realised that the way I was creating this model wasn’t time-sufficient enough for the project, so I decided to begin modelling from scratch, basing the model off of one my art pieces, namely this one:
I began with a few basic shapes, laying out where I want the buildings to be placed, and how I want them to be situated.
After adding the basic shapes, I created a background model based off of my depiction of a steam-punk shard building, along with the train-track bridge.
The result was this final polygonal model
Then the time came to begin adding texturing to the buildings and the various details on their surface.
I began testing out the texturing system using the hyper-shade page and began to get a feel for the various textures and seeing which ones went best with the steam-punk look I was going for.
Eventually, I went for a dark red brick for the buildings, and a dark, industrial bronze for the pipes and various other details.
I then begin applying these textures to the polygon using “apply existing textures”- “Phong”.
I then used the “attribute editor” panel to go to “colour”, “file” and then selecting the texture/photo file I wanted to use from the desktop. Then I had to make the textures visible by turning on the “textured” icon in the top bar.
After various tweaks selecting the different faces on the polygon models and editing the texture’s placement using “planar”, my model began to look like this
I then started a bigger variety of textures such as glass/window for the shard and managed to achieve a smoke/steam effect by using a series of sphere polygons and applying a smoke texture in the attribute editor.
When I had finished editing the smoke’s texture, I then played around with the different Arnold shaders eventually settling on one called “ACES RRT v0.7” as that’s the one that looked the most industrial to me and fit the steam-punk genre the most.
This is my final model