Task 1: What went right and wrong?
Here is my final animation:
Doing the research for my animation I also feel went well as choosing the Lion King and Treasure planet made for effective research as I know those films well. Also, using different sources such as behind-the-scenes videos on YouTube, gave me some good ideas for my animation such as how I drew my storyboards.
It also gave me a better idea of how professional animations are made, and inspiration for my own animation, specifically how I went about doing the art and design aspect of the assignment.
Animation history timeline
Creating the animation method timeline was fairly simple as I had to find out about a type of animation from a significant period in history, and along with an image of the new development, include some writing about it.
This gave me a good indication as to how animation techniques have evolved and changed ever since Walt Disney created the first full-length animated feature film, Snow-white.
Task 2: Ideas generation: What went right and wrong?
Brainstorming: With some friends of mine, I went over my and their ideas in video form, like a meeting session. This went well because we were able to bounce ideas off each-other and give our opinions on each-other’s ideas. However some of our initial ideas are very different from the ones we ended up using.
Storyboards: The storyboards went well as I was able to flesh out my idea well, using a storyboard template from google and a drawing pencil. This gave my animation visuals along with the written idea. However, due to time constraints, I could not do my storyboards much justice in my final animation.
Written treatment: I felt like I managed to produce an effective written treatment outline each act of the animation, for example, Act 1: Dove flies in tree and finds the nest. This gave me a better understanding of what I was planning to do as it gave a more summarised version of my animation.
Animation assets: Using the programme Photoshop, I created varied background art for each animation scene, using a variety of Photoshop brushes and tools to create a stylised version of the interior of a tree. For example, a Hard round brush for each tree branch to create a wooden effect, and a radial blur effect mask for the dappled effect of the leaves.
For the character of the Doves, I used tools such as the blending tool to achieve the different shades of colour on their feathers. and for the shaded effect on their beaks.
The soundtrack development I feel did not as well as the artwork, as I found out that Garageband was not easily compatible with after-effects. So I had to spend a-lot of time using sound-cloud, trying to change my music into a format that After-effects could read and allow me to edit the music into my animation.
For props I drew the character’s wings separately in Photoshop once again, so I could animate them properly in after-effects. And for the scene where the female Dove is walking on the tree, sad, I created a separate head, so I could animate it to convey the Dove’s emotions.
Task 3: Production: Using in class animation tutorials, I managed to create several compositions in after-effects importing my different character and background art. I then added a key-frame to each Dove so I could animate them movement by movement.
Scene 1: For scene 1, I imported my first background, which included a tree standing in a field, and then put in my Dove in front of the image on a different layer and positioned it as if it were flying. Then I imported each wing into a separate layer and as the Dove moved across the screen, I animated the wings alongside that by using the scale and position key-frames to make it look as though the character was flying.
Scene 2: When animating scene 2, I used the scale key-frame option on the wings for each frame in order to make them look as though they where closing as the Dove landed. When the Dove is hopping along the branch, I utilised the walk cycle principal of animation to make the movement look more convincing and life-like.
Scene 3: During the scene where the Dove is lost in the tree, I created a separate head so I could convey the Dove’s emotion more by having the head bent down, showing the character’s sadness.
I also used each key-frame to make the characters walk in time with each-other, then when they were in front of each-other, I used rotation key-frames to rotate the male Dove and the female Dove’s head, so as to make it look as though the characters were noticing each-other.
Peer reviews & feedback:
After development and after my animation had been uploaded, I created a survey on Google Forms so my class-mates could share their thoughts and give feedback.
A general consensus was that the animation wasn’t long enough, and that more animation techniques could have been used. I feel like if I had more time I could have corrected these mistakes, and improved on my animation’s story.
(If you want to see the full survey, click on the link below)
The 2nd part of our animation assignment was to create a stop-motion animation using whatever medium we chose based around a randomly assigned letter of the alphabet. I was set with the letter K
Here is the final film:
Task 1: planning
The planning phase was fairly easy as I came up with a good idea with the first word beginning with K I thought of, which was the word knight. I played around with some ideas in a medieval setting, for example having a Lego knight cut the letter K out of Lego bricks with his sword.
But I decided to get more creative with it by introducing a Lego dragon and having the knight have a brief fight with it, with the dragon’s fire burning the letter K into the grass.
Task 2: animating
Using a tripod and a Sony camera in a darkened green-screen room, I animated both of my characters frame-by-frame, taking 2 images for each frame for easier editing and, using a green-screen placed flat on the table I used some images for editing in the K.
Task 3: editing